Eyebrows are possibly the most important part of your face and a good brow can either make or break your look! When done correctly, they can create much needed structure and balance to the face! On our blog ‘Eyebrow trends through the decades, we’ve seen over the years that ‘one brow shape does not fit all’ and this blog is designed to explore eyebrows shapes for different face types to help you determine which shape is best for you!
Knowing your face shape is the first step to perfect shaped brows
In order to know which shaped eyebrows suit you, you will firstly need to identify your own face shape. Face shapes can be identified by drawing an imaginary picture frame around the face. The eyebrows form the top of the frame, the jaw line forms the bottom of the frame and the sides are formed between the temples and the jaw line.
Enhancing your facial features with brow shaping
By tweaking our brow shapes we can cleverly change the proportion of the facial features creating the illusion of a slightly different face shape. This can be done by raising, lowering or lengthening the upper frame by changing the brow shape. For example you can make a short square face look longer just by raising the eyebrows by creating an arch.
Similarly, if we lengthen the tails of the brows, the brow area will look wider in turn making the jawline appear slimmer in proportion. Those with wide-set eyes can make them appear closer together by keeping the brows close-set. The bridge of the nose can be made to look slimmer by doing this also. Fuller brows can make your whole face appear smaller, rounded brows can make your face look rounder and having softer contoured brows will soften an angular face. By adding sharper angles into your brows you can make a softer rounder face look more shapely. It’s all a bit of trickery cleverly achieved by shaping the brows.
Finding the exact eyebrow shape for different face types can seem like a tricky task however it really is a case of looking at what features you wish to highlight and emphasise or alternatively ‘draw attention away from’
Eyebrow shapes for a ‘Round’ face
Rounded brows on a rounded face will only make it appear rounder. The objective is to make this face shape look longer and the jaw to appear narrower.
Opt for a soft lifted arch and a lengthened tail to create the illusion of a longer face and slimmer jawline.
- Avoid straight flat brows on a round face as it will mismatch the face and make it look shorter
- Avoid a round brow because this will make the face an its features look even rounder >
- Avoid a sharp, angular shape as these will not complement the curves of the face
- Keep the contours of the brows soft and slightly curved under the arch
- Brush the hairs at the front upright to add an angular element to the brow shape to gain balance.
- Add height at the arch to lengthen the face.
- Keep the arch nearer to the centre of the brow to make the face appear more oval
- Add length to the eyebrows to give the illusion of a slimmer jawline.
Eyebrow shapes perfect for a ‘Square’ face
A square face tends to have more angular features. Our objective is to make this face shape look longer and the jaw line to appear more narrow.
Opt for a soft lifted arch and a lengthened tail which will help to elongate the face and make the jawline look slimmer.
- Avoid round brows on a square face as they will mis match the face and its features.
- Avoid flat brows on a square face as the face will appear shorter and even more square.
- Keep the contours of the brows angular i.e. a squarer front and a straighter lines
- Add a in a curved element to the shape under the arch to gain balance.
- Add height to the arch to lengthen the face
- Keep the arch nearer to the centre of the brow to draw attention to the centre of the face
- Add length to the brows to give the illusion of a slimmer jawline
Brow shapes fit for an oval face
The oval face shape is seen as the ideal face shape because it suits many styles of brow. That said there are still a couple of rules to abide by to achieve the most flattering brow shape on an oval face.
- Make sure not to put oval brows on an oval shaped face. You can avoid this by making sure your arch doesn’t sit in the centre of the brows.
- Keep the contour of the brow shape soft to avoid making the brows appear too sharp or angular.
Best eyebrow shape for a Long face shape
A long face is typically oblong or rectangular in shape and tends to be very narrow with close and deep set eyes. Our objective is to make this face shape appear shorter and wider.
Opt for a flatter curved brow shape with a shallow arch and longer tails to make the face look shorter and wider at the temples
- Avoid a height to the brows as this will make the face look longer.
- Keep brows flatter so as not to create the illusion of a shorter face.
- Keep characteristics soft and curved to complement the features.
- Keep brows wider apart to draw attention away from the centre of the face
- The highest point of the arch should be further away from the centre of the brows.
- Arch the brows from underneath rather then the top of the brows to open up deep set eyes
- Add length to the tails to make the face look wider at the temples.
Best brow shape for a ‘Heart-shaped’ face
If your face is heart-shaped, you will see that the forehead is the widest part of the face with the narrowest being the point on the chin. Our objective is to make the forehead appear narrower and in turn soften the chin, making it look less ‘pointy’.
Opt for a softly shaped brow with a very slight curve that is shorter in length and closer together to draw attention to the middle of the face and balance the proportions.
- Avoid round brows on a heart shaped face as they will exaggerate the heart shape.
- Avoid flat, straight brows as they will make the face look triangular.
- Keep the brows shorter in length to give the appearance of a more narrow forehead to balance the jawline..
- Keep the brows closer together to draw attention to the middle of the face.
- Keep the arch closer to the centre of the brow to draw attention to the centre of the face.
Hopefully this brief overview will have helped you consider your eyebrow shape depending on your face type… To get started on achieving the perfect shape, you will need a good set of tweezers. EyebrowQueens Precision Tweezers are a great dual ended tweezer, perfect for both fine and thick hairs and will be exactly what you need to tame those unruly brow hairs! If you are keen to find the perfect colour eyebrow pencil to help you achieve immaculate brows, click here to explore the colours of Brow Pro. Blonde and looking for an incredible colour match for your eyebrow pencil? Read our blog What is the best eyebrow pencil for blondes.